Monday, November 16, 2009

German Pancakes

I love cooking, so does my husband. He is the gourmet chef and I am the homecookin' chef. He has a knack for knowing how much of this or how much of that to add, I follow a recipe. Over the years I have learned a lot from him, I have learned to cook stuff I might never have attempted and I do it without a recipe. Whoa! And it tastes good too. Occasionally I like to surprise him though and cook something for him.

The other morning I woke up and felt like eating a German Pancake. A what? you say. A german pancake. It is super easy and super yummy. The only issue that I can tell is its difficult to cook more than one at a time in a small oven and the cook time is 18 minutes or so.

The recipe of course, uses gluten-free flour, but feel free to use regular flour.

The recipe courtesy of Bob's Red Mill Flour, but its pretty standard one.
1/4 GF flour
1/2 C. Milk
1 Tbsp. Butter
3 Eggs

Pre-heat the oven to 425 Farenheit. Add the Milk and Eggs to the Blender and mix. Then add the flour, mix again. Melt the butter in a 9-inch pie pan in warm oven. (We have exactly one, hence the reason it takes so long to make breakfast). Add the mixture to the pan and cook for 18 minutes or until puffy and golden brown. Traditionally its serve with applesauce and powdered sugar. It tastes crepe like but without the difficulty of flipping the crepe. This recipe claims to make four pancakes but I only got three, we definitely could have used the 4th. In the future I would double the recipe. It was a really fast and easy breakfast and Kevin loved them.

No comments: